Monday, October 5, 2009

Good morning!

It is beautiful here in hot, hot AZ this morning. Today is supposed to only be 71 degrees which is practically winter.

This weekend I planted seeds of: onion, broccoli, cauliflower, chinese cabbage, various lettuces, and spinach. I also planted shallots, more onions and three short rows of garlic from sets. (I have no idea what I'm going to do with all that garlic if it all grows!) Anxious to rip out the gourds so I can get my flowers planted but they are just so happy I am finding it difficult to pull the roots so they can start drying. AND I'm doing a fancy weed thing called solarizing in my asparagus patch getting ready to plant new crowns next month. Basically you just dampen your soil thoroughly so it is saturated about four inches down, cover with heavy plastic, put something on top of it and let the weeds and weed seeds bake. Solarizing certainly sounds more glamorous, though, doesn't it? I've also been reading about using corn gluten to control weeds as an effective, organic pre-emergent but haven't attempted that yet.

My compost bins are just working wonderfully and churning out wonderful dark, rich compost.

I am dreading tackling the blackberry canes. When I planted them I did not tie them up and they have gone every which way. I'm ashamed to show you how bad they look but...well, I'm definitely keeping it real by sharing this photo with you. And now I'm signing off from beautiful Arizona! Happy gardening (or dreaming of next years garden if you're up North somewhere!)

10 comments:

  1. just wanted to say that I have enjoyed my visit to your gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do with the corn gluten? Just spread it around your plants? Interesting. Like the solarizing idea too...this is to kill off all weeds and all possibility of weeds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your garden is going strong. I visited two others today...one with all her BEAUTIFUL flowers pulled up and taken to the dump and the other one under several inches of snow.
    Oh I would have loved to see the barn you were talking about. I lived in a very rocky place and so you either let them be, haul them off, or make beautiful things with them. I choose the latter. I even have neighbors bringing me their unwanted treasure. They think I'm nuts! and maybe I am...but I AM RockCandy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can get corn meal gluten from harpers. we haven't tried it yet either but garden guy from channel 3 likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, make sure that if you use the Corn Gluten that you are never going to plant seeds there! It prohibits all types of annual seeds from germinating!!! As long as you always plant from plants, it is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny! Sure wish I had a beautiful garden like yours! Too many trees around here to grow anything :(
    I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog. And the awesome tip on working with burlap! I posted another burlap project and put your tip in there for my readers. Thank you so much for sharing such a great gem of an idea.
    Have a lovely day!
    Linda
    Craftaholics Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny,

    Thanks for stopping by and saying hi. I, too, live in AZ but I DON'T HAVE A GARDEN LIKE YOURS. It is amazing.

    Cheers to you,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an amazing green thumb!! I can't keep cactus alive lol. I love your blog and am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! I have a garden and live in AZ as well!!! Your's is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used newspapers spread all over to kill everything before planting..........

    ReplyDelete